- Prep and Prime : You want your makeup to last all day, so be sure to prep your skin and give yourself a good base to work with. Moisturise regularly to keep skin smooth and soft and maybe avoid any spf moisturisers that day - you don't want any flashback on those pictures. A good primer will help your makeup stay in place, some of my faves include the elf mineral face primer (here) and Benefit pore-fessional.
- Keep it simple : Neutral eyes are a safe bet and won't clash with any dresses and gowns. Use makeup you feel comfortable wearing but that makes you feel confident.
- Take some essentials with you : A setting powder, a powder brush and some lipstick are a must. If you're ceremony is anything like mine you'll be sat in a hot room with hundreds of people in a thick graduation gown. Mattifying powder is a must, especially to take the shine away in photographs. Take your lipstick of choice along with you, it's always good to top up especially if you'll be sipping some champers too!
- Stray from your comfort zone: If you like wearing a pale pink or nude lip, don't opt for a bright red or deep purple on the big day. The last thing you want to do is feel uncomfortable so stick to what you enjoy.
- Forget the photos: There are a few products that reek havoc on flash photography, a well known one being any form of HD powder (usually white, translucent powder) that lots of celebs have made the mistake wearing (see here).
- Go with a crazy hair do: Okay so not exactly a makeup tip, but those graduation hats (or mortar boards if you want to be snazzy) are a bugger. They just wont sit on 'up dos' and I'd definitely recommend taking a few bobby pins to help secure it in place if you're worried about it falling off. Just don't forget to remove the pins before doffing!
- Forget to smile: No amount of makeup can look as good as having fun and smiling on your graduation day. So if you're about to graduate - have fun, enjoy the day, try not to stress and take lots of pictures you can look back on and be proud of!
So, if you're going to be graduating soon - enjoy it & well done! Obviously these are just my personal tips; I actually thoroughly enjoyed my day even though I had said for ages I really didn't want to go. It went surprisingly smoothly and wasn't stressful at all. The weather was dry, my hat stayed put and my makeup lasted the day!